Saturday, January 03, 2009

...first attempt at cooking fish solo.

You know how I hate fishy stuff and smell. Plus I never like to cook.

But I thought I should try to steam fish for dinner. A more healthy diet. Need to loose weight. DIY to save money.

Since I was already at QBM, I decided to buy cod fish (it was between cod or salmon) from Jusco supermarket.

As I was gonna start preparing, I decided to call mom for advice.

"Put spring onion," mom said.
"I don't like spring onion. Anyway tak ada. "
"Add ginger to take away the fishy-ness."
"Err... no ginger-lah."

I don't seem to have anything in my kitchen.

"Can I marinate with salt? I have black pepper and chilli powder as well."

Well, that's just what I did.

And my fish turned out all right. Well at least to my taste. :-)


And this is my dinner for the fateful day I steamed fish on my own.

What do you think of my feeble attempt?

5 comments:

Ebbs said...

well done!!!!
try this - season with salt and pepper. With generous spoons of olive oil , put chopped garlic on top and steam. Cod fish are great tasting fish by itself. :)

if you have, dill go very well with fishes. adds flavour. :0

Anonymous said...

Great effort. What's that on the rice? Ebbs right.. put a bit of olive oil, maybe some sesame oil too. And what's that black colour liquid?

kwazy berry said...

Sprinkled on the rice are some Japanese stuff. Can't read Japanese, so don't know exactly what I'm eating as well. Hehehe... The black liquid is Bovril. I can't eat rice without soup, gravy or sambal.

I don't think I wanna buy lotsa ingredients just to make the fish taste nicer. I wasted a lot of stuff last year due to expiration. The fun part is to cook with what is available. Wait a minute, there's no fun in cooking!!

Ebbs said...

olive oil is NEVER be wasted. you can use it on salad, dip it with bread (and balsamic vinegar).

it is antioxidant - helps us stay young. :) a good oil indeed.

buy a small bottle la.

kwazy berry said...

i do have a bottle of olive oil... my kitchen is empty... but not that empty... :p

no vinegar though...